Flickr for business is a great , especially if you have stock and products that translate visually. Menu items, ice-cream flavours, hotel rooms and happy customers are perfect images to post on Flickr.
One of the best ways to get started with Flickr is to create a Project 365 and join the associated group. Project 365 is basically a photo diary – you take one photo a day and post it on Flickr.
What you post is entirely up to you. But here are some suggestions.
- If you are a deli – some tantalizing pictures of what’s in your display cabinet (dips, sausage, cheese)
- If you are an hotel – pictures of your different rooms, close-ups of furniture items, the view from the room
- If you are a restaurant – your new summer, winter, spring etc menu items, desserts, environment, best table
Now you can also join a Project 365 group on Flickr and share your images with everyone.
But what I really like about Flickr is geo-tagging.
When you up load a photo, you have the option of not only adding a descriptive tag (I always recommend including your business name) but also a geo-tag. A geo-tag is a geographical identifying tag that plots the location of your photo. Geo-tagging can help users find a wide variety of location-specific information. More importantly, geo-tags help customers find you through the photos you take.
As Flickr describes it, “As you stick more and more photos and video on to the world, these Places will become richer and much more interesting. This spurs us on to keep making them better, and to show you fresher, nearly-live content from Zambia to Nova Scotia.” Click here to learn more about the process.
Imagine if someone saw your delectable new dessert on Flickr, wouldn’t they want to know where they can go to eat it? Even if they are not in the area right now, they may bookmark it for the future, and if one of their friends is wondering where to take a date for coffee & cake, they’d be able to recommend you via your photo! A new customer just from one photo. Can it really be that easy?
Here are my “pizza” search results for a Melbourne, Vic.
Four things to remember when posting an image on Flickr
- In the comments section, add a description that includes the name of your business and how to contact you
- Add word tags that describe your picture (including your business name)
- Geo-tag so that you are search-able via the place pages
- Encourage your customers to also take photos to post on Flickr and tag them (with your business name!)
Mostly, have fun. You can check out my coffee Project 365 here. I’d love you to post some comments, you never know when I might feature your coffee!